June 12, 2013

Moments that change your life...

You know those moments. I had one. Well, technically I had two. 

These two...


They took my breath away. 

Literally. 

Those moments...
...when, all of a sudden, everything in your life makes sense. 
...when you know you were prepared for this moment exactly.
...when you realize how many dominoes were put in place for this precise result. 

It started when I fell in love with the sweetest boy on the block and talked him into marrying me (pretty much how it happened). We joked about how we were going to have twins because my maternal grandmother is a twin and my maternal great-grandmother is a twin. It was bound to come around again.

And then... 
The wonderful man who sealed us for Time and All Eternity in the Mount Timpanogos Temple reminded Nathanael that when he comes home from work and the twins have been running around destroying the house to be sure to love and serve his tired wife. 

And then...
After our sealing ceremony we stood gazing at the "eternity mirrors" in our sealing room and I pointed to one side and said "look the twins!"

And then...
Everyone gathered outside the temple discussing "our twins" when my sweet little sister innocently inquired why everyone was talking about her dream. She had just had a dream that she was helping babysit the twins.

And then...
A few months later we found out we were pregnant.
Pure joy.

And then...
A few weeks later I had a quiet sweet experience revealing the two little spirits there.
(I didn't totally believe it)

And then...
Nathanael and I just started referring to them as "them" and "babies" instead of "it" and "baby." My mother warned us that we might be disappointed if we kept referring to them like that but only ended up with one. ( I reassured her that I would be quite relieved.)

And then... 
We "April Fools" some family with this picture...

And then...
We went in for an ultrasound at 12 wks because of some unusual (and terrible!) pains.

And then we sent this one...

That first ultrasound was the most surreal moment of my life. The ultrasound tech (who had 14yr old twins) pulled up the sonogram and the first thing I see is a little membrane separating two little sacks. As she moved it over to find both babies she says, "Do you see what I see."

Yes, yes I do.

I have never been so "not surprised" and yet "totally shocked" at the same time. 
(Can you see the "totally shocked" on Nathanael's face?)


I kept telling the ultrasound tech that our families were not going to believe us. Really. And of course... they didn't. (LOVE my Father-in-law and brother in law's reactions!)



But now that they are here (well... coming here) I can't imagine life any other way. I know the Lord was preparing us early on for the possibility. (Probably so I wouldn't freak out.) I know these two little girls are supposed to come to our family.

I have had some tender experiences with family members on the other side of the veil, particularly my great grandmother and my great-great grandmother who were both mothers of twins. I know that we aren't alone and that we have a lot of support, here and there.

Moments that change your life.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Too cute! Loved reading the whole story! Excited to meet these two!

Pamela and John said...

Carlee, this is such a precious post. Congrats again. : ) P.S. my Mom still says one of the most special days of her life was the day she had twins.

Cassie said...

Oh I love this! I can relate in so many ways, but I just think it is INCREDIBLE you had so many promptings that your twins would come to you.

I wrote about this in my blog, but I talked about how the first part of my pregnancy (when I thought there was only one baby) I felt a little depressed - like something was off. The second I found out we were having twins I finally felt like I understood my pregnancy because I was aware of both of my children. It was such a humbling experience.

This is very exciting! I look forward to following your progress!

KelliO said...

How beautiful. Those must be very tender to reflect on. God bless you in your journey!

Alexana said...

Yay!! I'm so excited for you! What a beautiful story!

Patty said...

I love how you shared the timeline chronicling all of those incredible spiritual experiences and how it all came together. I'm so excited for you!

Allysha said...

That is the first time I've seen the reactions from Dad and Christian. Hilarious!

You and Nith will be such great parents. You are a trooper, Carlee! I'm excited to meet these baby girls!