December 24, 2013

A Very Merry Christmas

I know I have been horrible at posting. Of course, I have the best excuse in the book. You have two newborns and see how often you post. I digress...

This Holiday has been a unique experience. On one hand, I feel like I haven't had an opportunity to even get into the Christmas spirit. Immense fatigue, unpredictable hormones, and a healing body has inevitably put a few bumps and bruises into my holiday. But on the other hand, I feel that I have never had such a perfect understanding of the true Christmas Spirit.

Becoming a parent has changed my perspective on... well... just about everything. Besides not being able to leave the house without obsessing about my babies well-being to being overly cautious about... well... just about everything. Besides the diapers, spit up, baths, laundry, etc. My world-view has changed. It's rather hard to explain. Unfortunately, I seem to feel the evil and injustice in the world more acutely. However, I also seem to comprehend the power of love, innocence, service, and parenthood (amongst other powerful concepts) more vividly.

I think I might now better understand the love of our Father in Heaven to send his Son to Earth. I can't image giving up my child, but I can't image our lives if Heavenly Father hadn't given up His. Likewise, I can't comprehend the deep pain and suffering Christ experienced when He faced the greatest evils of this world. But I can better comprehend the love that He has for us.

A love I never really understood until now.

To think of this baby, so innocent and pure... like my babies. To think of this little one, so seemingly unprotected. Yet, this tiny baby that was born in a stable and laid in a manger had been tasked with the greatest of callings.

I wish my language, writing and grammar could correctly communicate that thoughts and feelings of my heart.

But just know that now as Christmas approaches I am starting to understand the power and beauty of the birth of Christ just a little bit more.




My favorite holiday carol...

What child is this, who, laid to rest,
On Mary's lap is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?
This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing:
Haste, haste to bring Him laud,
The Baby, the son of Mary.
So bring him incense, gold, and myrrh,
Come, peasant, king, to own him.
The King of kings salvation brings,
Let loving hearts enthrone him.
This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing:
Haste, haste to bring Him laud,
The Baby, the son of Mary.
Raise, raise a song on high,
The virgin sings her lullaby
Joy, joy for Christ is born,
The baby, the Son of Mary.
This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing:
Haste, haste to bring Him laud,
The Baby, the son of Mary.

No comments: