December 18, 2012

Thoughts of my Heart...

Have you ever had an experience where your spirit connects with another?

I've felt it before. It can happen at times when there is a moment of deep understanding between two people, sincere sympathy, or empathy. Maybe you've known the person a long time. Maybe you've recently met. The end result, for me anyway, always leaves a profound love for the other with whom I shared the experience.

I had one of these tender experiences recently. Our exchange was less than a minute. But his spirit left an impression on mine that I will not soon forget.

His eyes were soft and sincere, a stark contrast to his haggard appearance. The lines in his forehead showed a lifetime of hard work and concern, especially where his brows must often have been furrowed in worry. His clothes were old. His stance was tired. He held a sign in the snow asking for help.

Normally, I try to smile and wave. Be friendly. Lift a spirit. I've always been taught and scolded to give to the shelters not to the people. We passed him the first time when the snow was just starting. When we passed him the second time the snow had fallen several hours. He hadn't moved and covered in white.

We turned around. We had to.

My sister ran over to him with some Christmas peppermints and a generous gift from my mother. Something deeper in me needed to know that he was okay. So we pulled around. I asked him if he was alright. He nodded. He had seen my mother's gift and there were tears in his eyes. There were tears in mine.  I told him to find a hot dinner and a warm place to stay. He thanked us again and again. His eyes were so soft and sincere. He turned and limped to his cart, his home. I cried. His tender limp made me think of my own grandfather.

It was such a short exchange... but I will always remember his soft and sincere eyes.

No comments: