January 31, 2015

2014 Reads

As I started this post I was a little discouraged about how few books I read this year. And then I remembered, I had twin infants. I rocked this year! At least I read a book! Each one a small success in the craziest year I have ever had.

With that said, I must also issue this disclaimer that I have absolutely no memory anymore and can't hardly remember these books now. So these reviews are going to be a little bit weak. Ah well...


The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green
I read this book with high hopes because of its rave reviews and popularity (pre-movie). I have to say I was disappointed. Of course, I can't remember all the details why. (I warned you that was going to happen.) I think the writing was weak, the story potential was wasted, and at times it was just a bit odd. So. Meh. Could have passed.

My Year with Eleanor
by Eleanor Hancock
I loved this book! But it was most likely because I could relate to her perfectly. You know... the perfectionist, goal-obsessed, seeking happiness specifically by overcoming her fears type. Sound familiar? haha. It was a fun read. Encouraging. Light hearted. Real. It just might be my favorite memoir. If I remember correctly...

Bloody Jack
by LA Meyer
Fun, quick read. Delightful premise of a young girl learning to be a sailor. Didn't love a few parts with a fellow sailor's molesting advances. For that I would have a hard time recommending it to a younger crowd. 


The Forgotten Garden
by Kate Morton
A very engaging story, which is exactly what I needed at the time. It pulls you in and you just can't stop until you know everything! I absolutely loved the interwoven storyline throughout three generations. You get to experience several different continents and time periods. Lots of enjoyable aspects, some weak ones. Overall, I enjoyed it.

The Weird Sisters
by Eleanor Brown
I honestly can't remember a whole lot about this except for that I generally liked it. Based on modern day sisters who grew up in a small town with a Shakespeare professor as a father. All about family and its intricate and complex relationships.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
by Jamie Ford
This was one of my favorite books in a long time. It was well written, well paced, intriguing story, lovable characters, and just plain enjoyable. 



How Green Was My Valley
by Richard Llewellyn
Exceptional writing. Read it. The end.

Dumbing Us Down
by John Taylor Gatto
Recommended to me as I start my homeschooling journey (meaning I'm thinking about it and toying with the idea down the road). It's a series of lectures. A little bit hard to get through, but brilliant.

Elantris
by Brandon Sanderson
Several friends (incl. my husband) have tried to get me to enter the sci/fy world for years. I finally gave in, and I'm glad I did. This was a very enjoyable read and easy on a sci/fy beginner. It was engaging, which is what I needed. 



My Story
by Elizabeth Smart
Not sure what to say about this one. I liked it and I didn't. You will just have to go experience it for yourself. I did appreciate her hopeful message. 

The Thief Series (#1-4)
by Megan Whalen Turner
I can easily claim these as one of my favorite series! Quick read. Absolutely delightful story, unique approach. I can't hardly wait for the last two. Go to the library. Now. (PS... if you do read them, treat the first as a prologue. I liked the rest much better.)

The Queen's Gambit
by Beth Brower
Written by my amazing SIL. You really need to pray this gets published soon because you are going to want to read it.



  The Queens Gambit


These were all life savers. Welcome to parenthood.





1 comment:

Allysha said...

Um, even with your twin babies, I am pretty sure you bested me in reading for 2014! You are awesome.