December 18, 2011

Goal #26

Goal #26: Earn a Bachelor's Degree

COMPLETE

Graduation! December 2011
Lessons I learned:

#1: Obviously I have learned plenty of... Patience - With roommates, professors, inconvient sleeping schedules, etc. Endurance - Like when you are sick and tired but have that last paper to write. Honesty- Have I done what I've said I've done? Have I kept my commitments? Psychology - only the best major out there. :)

#2: I have learned that I DO NOT have to be a perfectionist. Although I should do my best work I don't have to be anxious about doing everything perfect. Its not necessarily the grades that count, it's the fact that I'm learning.

#3: I have learned to count the small successes along the way. One of my professors made sure I learned this one lesson. It isn't about waiting to hit the big goal. If you do that you will struggle to find happiness and contentment with your work. However, if you count the small successes along the way it doesn't matter whether or not you have made the ultimate goal because you have seen success.

#4: The biggest lesson I have learned is that the Lord has his own timing for me. I distinctly remember writing down my 5 year plan at the beginning of my college experience. I was graduating in three years with honors, doing an internship in DC, going on a mission when I turned 21, then of course I was getting married. Well, here I am 6 years later. I didn't graduate in 3 years or with honors. I didn't do an internship in DC. I went on a mission when I was 22 and I am still very much not married...

BUT I got to change my major and study something that really fascinated me, I took the time (advised by my mom) for some fun classes like ballet, family history, snowboarding, and archery. I spent 4 months studying History, Politics and Religion in the Middle East and 1 month studying Art in Europe. I served in the greatest mission on Earth with the greatest people! The year proceeding my mission I learned the importance and application of the Atonement in my life through real experience. Since returning from my mission I was able to serve in many callings including as an Ordinance Worker in the Rexburg Temple and as the Relief Society President of my singles ward (post to come). I did an internship at the Family Crisis Center helping victims of domestic violence. I also had the opportunity of being involved on campus teaching a leadership class, coordinating all of the sports events on campus, supervising many of the service opportunities, counseling with the adminstration to develop the BYUI learning model, etc.

The moral of the story is: The Lord knows what he is doing. It is my job to trust his timing. My life wouldn't be nearly what it is without allowing the Lord to be at the helm. But boy... what a ride it has been!

Just some life lessons from a humble graduate.

6 comments:

Patty said...

Congratulations!! I'm so glad you've reached another of your goals!

Kristi Stephenson said...

YOU DID IT!!! And with flying colors, I must say ;-) You inspire me cousin and I sure love you! Can't wait to see you SOON!

Clark and Katie said...

Carlee, I must have the wrong number for you. I tried to call you but it wasn't your voice mail. Congratulations on graduating! Also, I need to talk to you about your dating life, because if you're not dating someone, I want to line you up with my brother this Christmas break, and Clark and I will double with you! Email me if you get a chance. kateandclark@gmail.com

Alexana said...

You look so cute!! Congratulations girl! Good for you! Hey I had a 5 year plan too! But it always turns out so much better!
Love you!

Kelsey Marie said...

Congratulations Carlee!!! I'm so proud of you...I sure will miss you being my roommate though!

Pamela and John said...

Congrats!!!!!! So exciting! Great post and advice.