December 10, 2011

Goal #34

Goal #34: Serve a mission

Suzzy and I

I did! haha. I have been home from my mission for a year, today. Crazy.

I was just having a conversation with a woman in the temple about what a blessing my mission has been in my life since I've returned home. The skills I developed have blessed my schoolwork and my callings, incl. the ability to organize, make plans, set goals, talk to strangers, teach, extend commitments, follow up, etc. My strengthened testimony and experience with the gospel has helped me ride through turbulent times. My desire to serve others has helped push me out of my comfort zone. Lifetime friendships were cultivated.

I don't think I really realized how much a part of me my mission experience would become. I didn't observably change a whole lot from beginning to end, but I know now that those experiences created depth.

I'm glad for the experiences I've had the last year to help me learn and grow, however, I'm admittedly a little "mission-sick" (much like homesick but for the mission).

Some pictures to reminisce:

MTC District
I loved this group! We had so much fun!

We tried for months to get Sister Price (LA) to church.
She finally decided to come to Stake Conference!!!

Sister Thacker's first snowman!

Sister Gunderson and Sister Thacker made me this birthday cake.
If you look close it looks like the ancient Bountiful Temple. :D

Packing by all means necessary!

You haven't lived until you've tried deep fried oreos.

Sometimes you just have to let loose and be a little silly.
Thanks Lins for teaching me that life lesson. :)

Five of the six sisters going home (at least we had each other)!

This summer my family went back to Ohio with me to visit. It was absolutely wonderful (and terribly humid)! I will always consider Ohio my home away from home! My mother has all the pictures. I only have two to share, but they were both GREAT memories!

I got to see my dear sweet Kate! Oh how I love her. She was my very first lesson. When I saw her again she hugged and tackled me into the pew after sacrament meeting. ha ha. It was so good to see her! And she shared her good news that since I had left her mother moved from Ghana to live with Kate and was baptized! Kate is on the left and her mother is on the right.

AND... I got to be with Jen when she received her endowments in the Columbus Temple. That will always be a cherished memory with some of my favorite people!

Well... one year down. Another one to go. :)

No comments: