August 31, 2008

Ryan


A couple of years ago I developed this habit of signing "I love you" to people. Well yesterday Ryan, my autistic brother, was passing me in the kitchen and I stopped him and held up my hand in the ASL sign for love. Normally he wouldn't care what I had to say and would be on his way. But every once in awhile he'll let you connect with him and his world. When he saw my hand he looked me right in the eye and said, "I love Carlee."
Wow!
I didn't even know that he knew signs!
Now when I hold it up he says, "I love Ryan."
And I do! I love ya Ry!

3 comments:

kenna said...

I'm glad we can be blogging buddies.

This is a great story btw. Touching, really.

Chris and Tarisa Todd Family said...

Carls, I love that.

britany a. barnes said...

I feel like I've read this before, but at the same time I feel like it's my first time discovering your wonderful blog! Carlee, you're inspiring. Many of your posts give me the chills. You have beautiful thoughts, ideas, and feelings, but what's more than that is that you obviously put them all into action, which is just about the loveliest thing I could have read about on a Sunday evening. I adore you and your sweet family!