November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving Tribute #22

Grandma Merlene
Girls Day 2011

Oh how I love my grandmother. You just have to meet her.

My whole life she has set the perfect example of unconditional love and acceptance. For example, when I went to church with her this weekend EVERYONE knew her and wanted to come see her. I could see it... each person had felt her love and wanted a great big Merlene hug. A favorite image I have of that day was when this sweet (and a little awkward) teenage girl walked by with her eyes unconfidently down and before she even knew it she was wrapped in a hug from my grandmother who was whispering words of love and encouragement to her. Her glow was visible.

Another favorite memory of my grandmother took place a few years ago. We were celebrating my grandparents' 50 year Anniversary at The Little America. The weekend was supposed to be all about my grandparents but one day my cousin and I were sitting in the lobby when my grandmother comes over arm in arm with this petite, dark complected woman. We had no idea who she was but my grandmother eagerly introduced us to her. They had met years before when my grandparents had stayed in this hotel previously. This woman was an immigrant and had little family but the hotel. My grandmother had taken her under her wing and loved her like grandma does. They had exchanged letters for years after that initial meeting and considered each other dear friends.

That experience had a great impact on me. My grandmother doesn't look past anyone, she sees each person as a child of God and loves them accordingly.

Thank You Grandma, for teaching me how to love.

No comments: